Saturday, August 25, 2012

All About Passports

My first experience with a Passport was when I was about five years old. My stepfather was from British Honduras and I was always so intrigued with his passport. I was born in Perry, Florida but soon thereafter moved to Naples, Florida. Aunt Anita came to visit every year and was forced to answer my many queries about Honduras and the little green book (passports were green until the U. S. Bicentennial Celebration when they were changed to blue). As she explained the purpose of the book was to allow her to come and visit in America. I asked do I need one of those to come see you? She wasn’t quite sure. I remember her saying you Americans can probably go wherever you want. Maybe this was the beginning of my fascination with travel. Maybe or maybe not, however I do know that I wanted one of those passport books. As I continued to develop Bahamas Travel with Connie Sue I was still of the opinion that all sophisticated people would have a passport. Imagine my disappointment when I read the article, How Many Americans Have a Passport? Matt Stabile, (2010). http://www.theexpeditioner.com/2010/02/17/how-many-americans-have-a-passport-2/ What then is the reason we needed passports? Discovery Channel asserted, “Passports are an internationally recognized form of identification and are required for travel between countries”. Essentially, a passport allows the bearer to travel from country to country and grants protection to the bearer. http://curiosity.discovery.com/question/why-passports-are-needed Tikitrips.com noted: “…passports must be valid; passports must be good for at least six months after your return date home; passports must be in your legal name and passports must match the name you put on your ticket/travel documents and finally passports must have at least one blank page left in them…” http://www.tikitrips.com/passport.htm/ Amazing how this childhood fascination with passports has led to the vision of Bahamas Travel with Connie Sue. Vision: A passport in every hand and many enjoyable trips to Bahamaland!

No comments:

Post a Comment